Saturday, March 15, 2008

Long Beach perspectives

I was born in Long Beach, California, right before the official start of summer in 1966. Actually, my birthday was Sunday as well as being Father's Day. What father would not want a bouncing baby girl on his day to remind him of fatherhood, right?

There is a statistic I read or heard somewhere that most people before the industrial revolution and a good portion of the poor population today live within 50 miles or so from where they were born. I just about fit into that statement having grown up in Fontana, California.

Now that I am able to travel, I find that I don't. I like home. I like where I live and I have that same feeling for Long Beach. For some, a big scarey place or a vacation destination... a place to party at Shoreline Drive or elsewhere, see The Queen Mary or Aquarium of the Pacific but for me, it feels comfortable like putting on your favorite almost wornout pair of Levi's jeans. It's there and it feels good.

Drama Boy feels otherwise. He sees it as a place where his HB friends have migrated to once the long lingering beach parting has past it's prime and family life takes over. Well, the real estate is cheaper there, so it's no wonder families flock there.

No comments: