Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Yesterday, Oh Man!

Yesterday, I came to work not feeling so hot because I thought I was constipated, so I decided to just sip on tea and coffee all day and avoid the cafeteria which has been feeding me too well. I think I gained about 10 lbs since I started to work here, which is a lot for me considering I'm pretty tiny. I finally broke down out of sheer hunger at about 3:30PM and went to the vending machines because at that time the cafeteria was closed and I bought a bag of sour gummie worms for $1.50. I checked the ingredients for lactose and there was none. Yeah! This did not negate the fact that the other main components were mostly sugar.

I left work at my usual time of 5:00PM and by the time I got to my off ramp two hours later, I had this pain in the middle of my chest that was so strong, I couldn't decide if it was a heart attack or a panic attack. I was thinking on the way home that I needed to do something for my son's 21st birthday, but he was at school until almost 10:00PM, so I decided Tuesday would be better especially since I was feeling like hell. I drove home and parked my car, turned it off and assessed what I was feeling. I took a couple of deep breaths and got my gear out of the car and walked to my front door to let myself in.

After I got inside and as I shut the door, I burped this hellish burp and then the fun began. Gas-gas-gas like I have never has gas before. I took a few of the multi-symptom Rolaids, but they did little to help. It was not fun and I was up until 1:00 something AM dealing with my self-inflicted gas factory by eating mainly sugar on an empty stomach.

I didn't know if I was going to make it to work Tuesday because I didn't get enough sleep but at least my stomach stopped rumbling like from the night before. I did not dare eat anything before my 2 hour commute, so I sent a text message to my co-worker to say I was running late- leaving at 6:30AM and that I would be in the office by 9AM. I went to Albertson's before hitting work and bought some plain bagels, apple slices, wheat thins, salami and gum.

So sitting and thinking (because that's about all I have to do at work when it's slow and there is nothing to do but cruise the internet) about what transpired yesterday with me eating all of that sugar on an empty stomach and getting the most uncomfortable gas attack I have ever had in my life in return, I ran a query on Google on the words ' sugar and gas '.

Low and behold there is a correlation with the chemical reaction that occurred in my gut yesterday with sugar and gas. You won't even believe it when I tell you and it may even solve the high gasoline prices we've been experiencing lately.

Los Gatos Company Introduces Ethanol-Making Machine

...and here's another article about it on Gizmodo

No comments: