I'm always getting asked how long does it take to drive home from Simi Valley to Tustin because everyone at work knows I live in Orange County and make this long trek to work each day. Yesterday was no exception. It takes anywhere from an hour to 4 hours, but the average is around 2.
I stayed late at work to deal with a security breach and I got to talking to the security guard Mosley who actually travels in the opposite direction that I do - that being east to work. I go east to go home. Anyway, he was asking about what time he thought I would get home because he said leaving later would have the drive easier. Hopefully.
I said I would be home in about an hour or so if I was able to drive at the speed of a low flying missile, approximately 80 MPH. It eats up my gas, I know, but I don't care - sometimes I just want to be home. And then we started to talk about the speed at which people drive. He said the speed limit should be higher so you wouldn't get as many tickets. Most people drive at speeds exceeding the posted limits anyway here in California. Most experienced drivers know they can safely go about 15 MPH above the posted speed limit.
I took that one step further. I said I think we should have no posted speed limits- on the freeways especially. This would be stimulating to the economy because almost immediately, all of the bad drivers, the poor drivers, the rotten drivers, the drivers with rolling wrecks under the ass would be eliminated due to death. Get out the tow trucks and then take those silly fucks off the road, total their cars, plan their funerals and that will get the death business pumped up and then you're left the rest. The rest of us meaning the one's who can drive fast and follow common courtesy and still not be moving hazards for other drivers.
I'm thinking German Autobahn. Yup. 120MPH would be common once the freeways are repaired of all the cracks and potholes. Large trucks would be forced to use train or surface streets because they really do a number to the pavement and would not be able to drive that fast either. I site as examples of diesel truck road damage: eastbound Edinger to northbound Ritchie - that left turn late is hell. I site any exit or entrance of Cherry Avenue off of the 10 freeway in Fontana, and I site the exit off of the 60 I think near the truck stop in Ontario. I think that is also near the Ontario Mills. The roads are a joke in California.
(On a side note: I get a kick when cities site homeowners for not clearing away brush around the perimeter of their house when the State of California does a lousy job of the same thing along their very own freeways. Get with the program and stop fires from developing along the freeways in the first place. Gees.)
So, people drive fast, bad drivers die, stimulates the medical and death industries, recycle the wrecks, have good drivers buying faster cars which stimulates the auto industry, good drivers get to where they are going in record time. Yeah!

No comments:
Post a Comment