It was time for me to shed my anxiety about selling my dad's machinist roll away tool chest and just do it. Today was the chosen day. It sat in the corner of my dining room for far, far too long; almost three years. It was there because storage fees were $100 a month for the size of a walk-in closet and I didn't want to pay for storage anymore. After I brought it home and I had no other secure place to put it, so there in my dining room it sat.
This was the ad I posted on Craigslist.org this morning:
***********************************************************************************
Used Kennedy Rollaway+Machinist Tools
I am selling an old used Kennedy Rollaway plus all the machinist's tools inside for $400 OBO, cash only. Will not part out. It must be sold as-is and all in one unit.
It belonged to my father who passed away a few years ago, so it's been sitting in my diningroom since then. He was a machinist who primarily worked aerospace jobs for over 45 years so this is his accumulation, a full box of good usable machinst's tools.
This brown Kennedy Rollaway is a two piece unit with a flip top and the rest are all glide drawers. A wooden hutch separates the two boxes creating a place to sit tools while you work. Each box can be secured with the original locks; keys included.
This box contains the machinist's bible, various charts and guides, and a large assortment of rasps, micrometers, feeler gauges, clamps, wrenches, cutting, sharpening stones especially used for CNC/tool and die, etc. etc. etc.
It's very heavy, so you'll need to bring a truck and a furniture dolly to remove it yourself.
Interested? Please call (714) 832-XXXX for an appointment.
***********************************************************************************
I actually got two potential buyers and I was able to get both of them to come my home at 1:00 PM to view the box and make me an offer.
The first gentleman told me a total sob story about how he has been a machinist for 25 years and he was recently laid off from his job and had placed his tool box in the back of this truck while going home. He stopped at the grocery store and by the time he got back to his truck, his tool box was gone. So sad. Sure, it's just tools to some people, but it's also your lively hood.
The second gentleman who was traveling from the 323 area to see the box called me three times before he even got to my home. He brought his father, a truck, and cash. He looked at each drawer like 6 times each with his dad. Got the O.K. from his father and then told me he'd take it.
YEAH!! It took him and his father about 20 minutes to remove the entire thing and get it loaded up onto his truck. And then the weirdest thing happened. My mom called. I haven't talked to her I think since May, but she called today of all days. I was in the process of supervising the removal so that my neighbors would not be freaking out over the parking or anything and I lost the signal. Once I got back to the house returning the dolly, I told my son to call her back and tell her I'd call back once I was done with the transaction.
Reviewing the Estate's spreadsheet, I'm still over $400 in the hole, but I have taken back my dining room today and that feels good. I'm going to clean it all up now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment