Monday, July 28, 2008

In case of choking, don't do this

I came home to find that my son sounded quite congested like he had gotten sick from who knows where doing who knows what. But then he proceeded to tell me this story...

My son, a poor college student, eats ramen noodles a lot. It seems to be the unofficial food of college students everywhere. He buys it by the case. He had prepared himself two packages for lunch and the consistency the way he likes to eat it is that of runny spaghetti.

So somehow while eating this, probably way too fast, he started to choke on noodles because it was going down his windpipe. He coughed, then tried to catch his breathe again and when he did, he sucked a noodle up the back of his throat and into his right sinus cavity. Gross.

He said the sensation he felt was disturbing. I can only imagine. As a mom, what to do stumped me. I had never had to deal with an issue like this, so I referred to the Internet. I googled "noodle in sinus cavity". Sure enough- people had this affliction before and had suggested home remedies to dislodge said noodle.

1)blow your nose
2)sneeze
3)irrigate your nose using a rubber bulb syringe and sterile saline solution

It seems a combination of all three finally worked for my son and because he was up so late trying to get the noodle to come out of his nose, he was out like a light for the earthquake that occured the next day (see next entry).

No comments: