Monday, July 7, 2008

LA Weekly

I have a love+hate relationship with LA Weekly similarly to many of the men in my life. It seems to be written better than OC Weekly and I love that fact. It has more articles I can almost connect with and I love that fact, too. I hate though that I have to pay for the damn thing when I locate it for sale in Orange County if you want the tactile satisfaction of holding actual bound printed matter in your hands to read. Oh don't worry - it's the same way for the LA dwellers that want to learn about the democratic monogamous way of life south of the county border, too. Pay-pay-pay and pay some more unless you can tolerate the online version. It's O.K. and does the job, too.

Two articles that caught my attention this time around are:

Lust in LA

*and*

Zen and the art of Cougar Hunting

Both hit a little too close to home these days. How so? I'm 42 and the last two guys I dated, and I use that term loosely, were in their mid to early 30's and one was specifically looking for his next level of thrill by way of a threesome and other assorted kink I couldn't find myself rising to without a certain level of trust and disgust. Call me old fashioned, but one-on-one is how it's done and all these feelings of competition and rejection well up when I think of the number three.

So thank you so much, LA Weekly, for giving me something more to read than the fucking boring ass LA Times while I'm sitting watching other people work. Much appreciated.

No comments: