This is sad, but it's not about me. I watched a documentary entitled "Autism Every Day" over the weekend on the Sundance Channel or IFC. Anyway, what it did was briefly showed a snapshot of these children born with autism, their family, level of disability and how the parents coped with the daily struggles. It also asked some pretty hard questions like, where did this come from and why if 1 out of 166 kids are affected by autism, it's not considered a national epidemic.
This is sad to think, but the women's liberation movement and in some way the invention of birth control pill brought on this wave, this higher than "normal" statistics for autism. The need for women to be treated equal in the work place, to strive in their own goals for themselves outside of the home and then after college and then after working for some time they want to have children after age 24, which is the peak time to have a child for a woman, is what brought this wave mental illness.
How does this tie into me? Once again, I put up an ad again on Match.com with the hopes of finding a soul mate, but more over any suitable mate because being single bored and lonely is getting old. I'm 42 and I had my son at 21. I do no want to start another family, mainly for my own health concerns, but moreover because I do not want to bare a child with mental developmental difficulties or be almost 60 when they graduate from high school. My golden years financing a college student is not in my future plans. And yet, I see all these men who now in their 40's want to start the family they put off having while they pursued their goals and dreams.
Never in the land of the free and the home of the brave have an age limit to having children, licenses for the birth of a child and genetic testing seemed so meaningful to me. Otherwise, eventually as this tragity progresses as it will, autistic children will become lifetime wards of the state.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment