Saturday, April 19, 2008

My relationship with food

I think sometimes I'm lucky but then also equally cursed having been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease by age 19. I probably had it much earlier because I remember the hundred times or so I told me mom I wanted to stay home from school because I had a stomach ache. Who knew it was actually my intestines acting up because of all the milk and milk products I was consuming as a child thinking these foodstuffs are healthy and good for you. Pssh. By the way, in case you didn't know this fun fact- your intestines are that area of your body between your belly button and your pelvis. If you are fat, it's not only fat deposits in there contributing to your extra weight but probably pounds of feces hanging out in your guts just waiting for its turn to get crapped out. Eww.

So now even more than before, I watch what I eat. And I don't mean whatever I happen to place upon my fork that goes into my mouth either, you jokesters. I know for a fact that when I eat things made with flour and sugar, I'm going to gain weight. It's just my reality. And I wish more people would come to that understanding and keep the hell out of the isles at the grocery store with all the processed crap in them. You need meat/fish/poultry, you need vegetables, you need fruit. Maybe add a few nuts and rice and you're good to go. All most all of these items can be found on the outside parameter of your local grocery store. They are all set-up the same way. You don't need pop tarts, Captain Crunch, cheesecake, and cream puffs.

Needless to say, I avoid milk and milk products also lactose as if it were the black plague. I feel bad if I eat it, I get the snots, and a quick trip to the restroom is not far off either.

I purposefully eat at least one good steak a month to keep up my iron level naturally and especially around that week I'm on my period. If I don't get it, I can feel run down and more cranky than I normally do. Not nice. A nice grilled steak and steamed veggies and I'm a happy girl. You'd think more places would serve the dish.

I also found the joys of Japanese food. No milk! I can eat sushi and I'm happy to do so, just not anything chewy like eel or squid though. All other dead fish not looking me in the eye are fair game for my wasabi and soy sauce.

My inspiration for this particular entry came from when I went to lunch yesterday at work. I previously ordered a sandwich from the cafeteria at work, but it didn't sit well and I really couldn't place my finger on the item that made me feel not so good, so I thought maybe trying something else they offered would be a good idea. I saw that they had a salad bar, so I thought maybe I'd have a chance at building a salad that I could take back to the office.

The salad bar was specifically set-up for vegetarians in mind. They had grilled tofu, roasted garlic, tabouli, humus, three different kinds of mixed lettuce, 6 different kinds of dressing, crushed hard boiled eggs, mushrooms, seasoned cooked corn, edame, sunflower seeds, bean sprouts and more. I really did not have to struggle much at all in order to build myself a decently healthy salad which I topped with low-cal italian dressing. I also grabbed an iced tea and some dried mango and the total for lunch was $4.44. Yeah, cafiteria food!

No comments: