Since the Senate is working on a health care plan, I thought I'd develop a plan, too. Why not. I can't screw it up any worse than it already is.
Universal Premise: Everyone deserves a healthy life.
Problem: Nothing worth anything in life is free.
Solution: Instead of taxing everyone in order to provide health care, stop the insurance system entirely and make everyone pay fees as described in my 3-2-1 system.
Babies: We hope babies start out healthy. Some do not. Some do not because of the actions or neglect of their parents, while others do not because of genetics. If you are a baby, you parents pick up the fees for your health care in my 3-2-1 system.
Anyone giving birth pays $3. Medication utilized for the mothers comfort during the birth is $1. Any other equipment used is $2. C-Section is $3. circumcision is an outpatient surgical event and is $2.
New Mothers: Prior to birth, new mothers are required to take nutrition and parenting classes. They are taught how to manage stress, encouraged and taught how to breastfeed. New mother's are encouraged to breastfeed for at least 6 months. After that, the baby starts to eat solid foods. New mothers are then required to take nutrition classes in regards to infants and children.
Children: All will take P.E. in school without exception. All teens will pick a sport after school for participation. All will have nutrition classes every year they are in school and health classes focusing on hygiene, grooming, and sex.
Immunizations are required and $1 each.
If you're lucky enough to get through childhood without a health incident, you become an adult with the ability to pay.
Adults: here is how my 3-2-1 health care system works. The most important health events happen to you are those that are in the hospital or take you to one for emergency care. Anytime you go to the hospital for a planned health care event or a life threatening emergency, you pay $3.
Anytime you have an urgent care situation, a non-life threatening emergency, you go to see any doctor you choose, general or speciality doctor or an urgent care facility and you pay $2.
When you are prescribed medications, however they are delivered, each 30 day prescription is $1. It doesn't matter if you're getting aspirin to thin your blood or the most expensive cutting edge treatments while you are laid up in a hospital bed. It's 30 days = $1.
So let's take, for example, when I had my three wisdom teeth taken out. I planned this event $2 for the consultation and $2 for the day of surgery (special dr visit = oral surgeon) and it was an out patent surgery = $2. Medication was administered to put me into a twilight sleep = $1. I had pain killers prescribed to me = $1. My oral surgery would of cost how much? $8.
Now think of how many people put off health care because they can't pay for it or can't pay for the insurance alone. If oral surgery was as cheap as a fast food meal, which, by the way, you would be discouraged from eating because they are unhealthy and you'd learn that in your health education classes for 13 years, do you think American's would have healthier teeth, mouths, better digestion, a better overall health?
Or here's another example. Say, I'm not feeling so good today. I think I'm coming down with a cold. I go to the urgent health $2, they give me fever reducer $1,
and send me home with a note to go back to work when I'm well. I much rather be monitored by a health care professional than suffer in silence and alone while I'm feeling icky. Not only that, but I'm tired of people dragging their sickly selves to work and infecting the rest of the workforce. It's disrespectful and it's disgusting.
On top of it all: smoking would be discouraged... packs would be $10 each. Alcohol would only come in small qualities because no one needs a magnum bottle or a 40 oz, please. Illegal drugs would be legalized, regulated, and expensive as hell to discourage their use, too. Habitual users would have mandatory treatment.
And the mental health profession would play an active role in health care and not just when things go awry.
Seniors would be on my 3-2-1 plan, too.
The only people who wouldn't have to pay in my 3-2-1 plan are the permanently disabled, the mentally ill, and anyone on unemployment or welfare. These people got it bad enough, so hey need a break. But if you're able bodied? Pay up. And anyone who makes $1M or more can pay market rate full price and not 3-2-1.
This is all I've got so far. It's not supposed to be a solution, but just an idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment