Saturday, October 8, 2011
Vacation day 1, Oct 8th
Day one of my vacation started at 4AM to wake up and get ready to meet up with the shuttle service, Primetime. I packed the night before and it took so long, I really had only a nap instead of a full night's sleep which for me would be a whopping 6 hours. It's nice that not long after my alarm went off, then my cell phone was ringing and it was the automated wake-up call from the shuttle telling me they will be there to pick me up in 75 minutes.
I took a shower. I was anxious. Knowing that there was rain in the forecast, but the weather would be mostly OK, I wanted to take an umbrella but not my raincoat because I thought that would be just too hot for the trip and hard to store if I didn't end up using it. My umbrella was toast - the end cap was missing, so I took my son's and my leather jacket. Before I stepped out of the house, I fixed the hole I made 3 years ago at work in the jacket on the lower right side, finally, with crazy glue. I went through my purse again to make sure there was nothing in it that wouldn't go through the TSA security checkpoint easily and had to put my lipstick and Vaseline in the quart baggie for inspection.
OK, I'm ready and waiting on my side street to go. It's 5AM. My neighborhood is a mass of humanity with all of the apartments and if I stand outside your front door, I'll see the ebb and flow of the neighborhood. There were two men standing on the overpass before the bus stop waiting for a ride, but I don't remember the bus coming or maybe their ride never showed up, but I was still waiting for the shuttle service when they were walking home chatting in Spanish. I wanted to ask, "No trabajo al dia?", but did not want to shout it from across the street in the dead of morning.
I shuttle called my cell home again this time to tell me that they are on my corner and I instructed him to turn right - I can see the van. I rode with other travelers to the airport to begin an adventure. There was one other bleary eyed woman from Foothill Ranch, a city further south than mine, on the trip to Long Beach Airport (LBA) with me. There was no traffic so we got there on time. I know it's early and you'd expect that there is no traffic, but frequently there has been many overnight freeway closures for road repair and it jams up because of this fact. No such thing on he 405 north traveling to the airport though.
It's nice that the drop-off point was at the front of the terminal. I executed an electronic check-in with Jet Blue online the night before so I was able to walk right past the counter and straight to the security checkpoint for TSA screening, which was in a portable trailer. This airport is old and under construction. They way it's set-up now reminds me of how Ontario was in the early 90's... full of portables disguised as gates that lead you right out onto the tarmac. I went though security without a hitch. I wore my favorite pull on city pants from New York and Company, black silk knitted polo and my DKNY flip flops with the 'shape-ups' sole. Thinking about all of the walking I'd be doing, I thought they would be good for the trip, but especially at Disneyworld, because those shoes are nice and cushy.
TSA informed me that the laptop must be placed into a tray on it's own, everything else you strip off of your person can go in a second tray... jacket, keys, purse, shoes, yes they are still x-raying those, and your quart baggie with any liquids your traveling with.
There was a buzz at the Jet Blue gate about going to Utah for a football game. Others were going to Reno via Utah. I was flying to Boston via Seattle. Our gate assignment was changed. They, Jet Blue staff, walked us outside to the other gate where we waited until it was time to board. The ramps are ghetto, but ramps none the less. They are old and kind of rickety and kind of steep. They are lined with grit, but I felt like I was sliding backward in my flip flops getting up to the plane.
About my seat assignment... row 9 is between other rows people pay an extra $35 to get for extra legroom. Now I'm 5'1", so I don't take up much space, but if I knew in advance that the seat wouldn't recline, I wouldn't have sat there on such a long flight. I was in 9A so at least I could stare out of the window. The snacks are cool on Jet Blue. They make you feel like a grown-up. I'd like some corm poppers - kettle flavor and a ginger ale. The bottled water is Danasi mineral water, which I don't like. It leaves you with a fine grit in your mouth. That can't be good. I pooed on the plane for the first time in my life. When I've got to go, I've got to go NOW. I timed leaving my seat just as someone was leaving the john. The flight attendant said to be quick because they were starting to descent into Seattle soon. I don't think I ever went so fast in my life. I hate the ascent and descent part of flying just like I do roller coasters. My stomach feels weird.
We landed early at Sea-Tac. I had a lay over which was OK because it was almost lunch time and I hadn't eaten any breakfast except for the chips and soda on the plane.
The trip from Seattle to Boston was long and had a bit of turbulence. Throughout the flight, I would change the DirecTv to channel to 14 which was a google map with an ever moving icon of where the plane was located over the US and Canada. I drank only one can of ginger ale and no snack on this trip. I had to use the john again. I found the men were peeing in the sink on this flight. Don't they know the difference between the sink and a toilet? A sink had no urinal cake in it. Eew.
Logan International Airport. It's big and old and being remodeled, too. On the approach for landing, we had to fly over the Atlantic and past Nantucket. I bet those high dollar residents love that. The buoys out in the harbor have blue lights on them.
At this point, you should read my Yelp.com review of Hertz dated 10/08.
It took about 30 minutes to drove from the airport to the hotel in Brockton.
And then you should read my Yelp.com review of Country Inn & Suites.
I finally went to sleep at 1AM..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment