Tuesday, May 26, 2009

CA Supreme Courts uphold Prop. 8 Banning Same Sex Marriage

Read: CA Supreme Courts uphold Prop. 8 banning same sex marriage

My feelings stir when I heard about proposition this initially. I am a single mother of a 21 years old son. Even after all this time and the fact that I never married my son's father, it bothers me that same-sex relationships want the same rights as I have. Their situations are not the same and will never be.

Marriages were registered and regulated by the government for the social welfare of women and their natural born children. Outside of marriage, paternity existed to prove a man's relation to a child and named him at least a financially responsible party, as well as rules were established for inbreeding so that retardation and birth defects would be prevented. Without these, women and children became financial burdens upon society and had the ability to draw welfare payments from the government. And that was me. After being neglected then beat-up, once I was not living under the same roof as my boyfriend... the father of my child, I filed for welfare in order to take care of us. My son was 10 weeks old, paternity was established and I continued to collect a check until I was able to earn enough to support the both of us, which happened as he entered school. In a time when it was expected for women to take care of their family and not work at all, financial responsibility was crucial to the survival of family unit, even if it was a one parent home.

In the state of California, where civil union is recognized, where a third party must be utilized to bare children with at least one parents genes and adoption is carried out in this regard or to adopt a child outside of the relationship all together, why do same-sex relationships demand the equal availability to marriage? It's not about the right to bare legitimate children because that only can occur in a monogamous heterosexual relationship. It's only about the sentimental value of the ceremony itself and you can't go through the ceremony without a marriage license. Merriam-Webster's definition of family is (2a) a group of persons of common ancestry: clan. You marry, you consumate, then procreate. I tend to agree.

No comments: