Saturday, March 21, 2020

The last day and what comes next

My last day at work was spent locating missing team reports and preparing them, monitoring the clerks I trained during the previous days and cleanout out my desk of a few things. A few managers came by to say thank you and good luck, and I also had to interact with HR to get my timecard signed and before leaving at the end of the shift I turned in my security card and clerk stamp. The last email was about the number of clerks opting to take the 10 days time off without pay offer. Of course, they would, right before CAP. Considering some clerks have been there for 20 or more years and their tenure, some already get three weeks paid vacation.

And then I was free. And it felt good. That was Thursday. And then this happened...

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/california-governor-issues-statewide-order-to-stay-at-home-effective-thursday-evening.html

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday issued a statewide order for all residents to ‘stay at home’ amid a coronavirus outbreak.
“We need to bend the curve in the state of California,” Newsom said, as he announced a statewide order for Californians to stay home.
“There’s a social contract here, people I think recognize the need to do more ... They will begin to adjust and adapt as they have been quite significantly. We will have social pressure and that will encourage people to do the right thing,” he said, in addressing how this order will be enforced.
Newsom added: “Home isolation is not my preferred choice ... but it is a necessary one ...This is not a permanent state, this is a moment in time.”

The stay home order is in place till further notice."

And I'm thinking what the hell does this mean for the new job I'm supposed to start on Monday. The governor just blocked me from working. And Friday, I get the call from the new job that says don't come in and I can't be trained or work remotely. I explain that I'm not sick, that I came from an office that is not sick and when I went to do their drug screen, they took my temperature and it was normal. Was their action one of a private employer trying to do the right thing to be in compliance with the state order as an overabundance of caution or a way to not have me board because their business is beginning to tank during such uncertainty? Either way, I told HR I quit my job on Thursday with the full intention to start on Monday and I'm ready to work. I'm also frustrated and I'm pissed off. It doesn't look like anyone will be hiring right now unless it's in a designated industry that mandated to stay open.

I'm going to have to apply for unemployment. Thanks, Governor Newsom. But the new job is not issuing any other paperwork for me, so I'm also going to continue to communicate to them in writing that I'm ready for work every business day until this order is lifted.

When is this thing supposed to end? Whether April 2 or April 7th, I don't know.

So you know how you generally stay indoors during a rainstorm and then when it's over, you go outside and the sky is so clear and bright the sunshine-it kind of hurts your eyes because all of the pollution has temporarily been kind of washed away? Yeah, I'm anxiously waiting for that day. The day that proclaims this stay-at-home order is lifted, and I can get back to work.

https://nationalmall.org/bloomcam

No comments: