Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The countdown begins. T-minus three days and counting...

Posted on a friend's Facebook page on 03/17/2020 because he's a coder in WA who's been virus sequestered by his employer and is now working from home until further notice:

Greetings from California! 
It's all doom and gloom at the federal contractor job having to be reminded of COVID-19, the need for ritualistic hand washing and social distancing (and here society thought that we internet nerds got social isolation all wrong-now it's a positive thing and considered self-preserving, HA!) on CDC signs posted every 6 feet or so. Today, my employer issued a proclamation that we can take 10 consecutive days off from work if we or a family member gets sick with no pay and without losing our jobs. I don't know if I should be happy or sad about that, to be honest, but I don't care all that much because Thursday is my last day. I start the new job Monday. Three-day weekend - here I come!

---end.


I like this photo I found on the internet of the path through the forest and the sunshine shining through. It reminds me to look forward and to stay positive because something better is coming on my journey through life.

I previously told my bosses boss, "I'm not staying for this (working on reports for less than I was making before and on a temp contract with no union safety net like the other clerks.) That temp contract ends on 5/02/2020 and I was not going to be one to be laid off yet again. I did two years as a federal contractor as of March 15th and it looks like that's maybe the end of the road for me there because having so many with tenure there precludes me from being retained. Whatever. It's not the end of the world for me and I'll be happy not having to deal with 430-some odd peoples germies all in the same office space every day handling their paperwork. It's literally an incubator of sickness waiting to develop at a moment's notice. Even though not protected from the coronavirus, I'm so glad that this past year was the first year I got the flu vaccine in September and I haven't got sick yet.

Was training two more clerks to work on the reports on the PM shift and one more on the morning shift. Was joking with the reports analyst, "So it appears that it will take three clerks to replace me." Heh. 


No comments: