Monday, July 13, 2009

Sunday Plumbing Sunday

Old condos leak from everywhere until you fix them. I had this happen to the maze of pipes underneath my kitchen sink last week and I had to fix it over the weekend. I practically had to rebuild it to make it stop leaking. And then I decided if I have to go through all that trouble, I'm getting a new faucet out of the deal. I found one to my liking for $99. It's got a high arch and a swivle head with three different spray settings and that suits me just fine. I don't need the hose thingie. So after three trips to Lowe's, breaking out every piece of plumbing tools I own plus my Dremel to cut one of the pipes, my kitchen leaks no more. I hope. I'm going to check it again when I get home from work tonight.

Sidebar: I took my son with me to Lowe's and he thought it was important for me to know the names of the pipe parts inorder to buy them. He was amazed that I could look at the pictures and find what I needed to fix the sink. Maybe I was a plumber in a former life. Or maybe I just hate to pay the fees my regular plumber charges. Yeah, that's more like it. When I was poor, I did stuff like this all the time because I didn't have the money to spend. Now that I do have the money, I don't want to spend it on stuff I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. When my hot water heater when out the day before 9/11, I called a plumber to fix it. When my toilet leaked, I rebuilt it. When my supply value began to leak, I called a plumber and told him no way when I heard the fee, so in my utter disgust at the potentional bill, I called a guy friend for strength and fixed it.

No comments: