Monday, December 29, 2008

The Revenge of the Beans

On Sunday, I decided to kill off the rest of the Christmas ham by de-boning it as much as possible and then stewing the bone and its remains in a slurry of Hurst's 15 HamBeen soup mix. Following the instructions on the back of the bag for the traditional preperation method, it turned out great, but little did I know that after eating two yummy bowls of it in succession, would I experience 'the revenge of the beans'. I had soaked the beans for at least twelve hours in advance of the cooking as the recipe suggested with the hopes that the gas syndrome you normally experience would be cut to a minimum, which, for the most part, it was. I still had to take some multi-symptom Rolaids to function as a human for the rest of the day. No big deal. I just lounged around until the gas attack passed and felt half-way better. But what I wasn't anticipating was that two bowls of ham and bean soup I ate would turn into intestinal cement. Did I not use enough liquid? Should I have added some stock to thin it out? I'm thinking simmering it for two hours like the recipe suggested was the specific instruction that made the soup reduce it's original liquid content of two quarts to about half or one quart. Don't get my wrong - it tasted good, but next time I make this, I need to make sure it retains a more broth like consistency.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I love your post. Experience has taught me the best way to avoid "the revenge of the bean" is to eat beans regularly. Your body becomes more efficient at breaking down the starches and you get a very healthy meal to boot. A little "beano" helps too.

As to the intestinal cement - there are a couple of options if you like your soup with more broth. You could start with more water or you could cover the pot after the initial boil and simmer at a slightly lower heat. This should help retain the broth and still cook your beans to tender.

Thanks for so humorously describing a common bean cooking challenge.

All the Best,

Jim Hurst
N.K. Hurst Company
makers of 15 Bean Soup