Saturday, November 10, 2007

The sky is falling

So now that I have all this damn ass free time, I decided that I absolutely hate my drop ceiling in the kitchen area and want to tear it down. I've been contemplating it all week. Actually, I've been contemplating it for a while, but only recently, have I made plans, like repairing the ceiling and replacing the light.

So after three days of semi-idleness, Saturday morning is the day I decide to tear it all out. I wake-up early, and start to remove the acoustic tiles. I started by the sink and worked my way out toward the frig on the other side of the room. So by the time I get to the last tile, my back is turned to the light fixture that is suspended in the middle of the room and I hear this huge crash behind me. I turn my head to see the light now positioned face up on the kitchen floor. I think of how many thousands of times I have walked under that damn thing and now that I'm so glad its gone. I still have to remove the railing, but the hazard is no more.

Once all the railing is removed, I have to patch the holes and then apply the knockdown texture to the ceiling area that never got any-thank you. Then I can paint. I'm thinking ceiling white and then after the cabinets get stripped, I'll pick a real color like egg shell or cream... something a tad warmer than the stark white I started with in each room. I'm looking at new products made out of portland cement and recycled colored glass for a solid counter top surface because I think a tiled one makes the room look smaller. I think it's called ice stone. Anyway, wish me good luck with the project. One of many that hopefully gets more into a completed state because we use the kitchen too much for it not to be nice and done.

No comments: