It was kind of brought on by the uke. It's leading me to the bass.
The bass, the bass, the bass.
And now just this week, I've got these bass players the of the extraordinary kind popping up in my youtube, Instagram, and Facebook that I've never really encountered on that level in any significant way before but I'm not searching them out either. And it's cool, but it's also weird.
Leland Sklar - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs5yDeiOgkyRZGZGphlSbIw
and some of his history here: http://guitarcostum23.blogspot.com/2015/01/lee-sklar-bass-guitars.html
Mike Watt - http://www.hootpage.com/
This week, I talked to Kenny (my dad died in 2005 and then Kenny kinda popped up and into my life and he happens to be a musician in his own right) about a jazz guitar that was for sale on Nextdoor. And I thought it was such a shame that the seller didn't know what it was. I thought maybe it was a Washburn due to the "W" on the tremolo bar, but no. Then, because of its shape, I thought maybe it was a Gibson, getting warmer because Gibson does manufacture jazz guitars. But no. And then I finally found a matching photo and figured out this crazy looking guitar was a Barney Kessel Norma after searching the term "vintage guitars". Once I found that out, I was "down the rabbit hole" finding out additional information about who he was, his equipment, what he worked on, who he played with, his videos on youtube, and figuring out how hard it would be to locate replacement knobs for a guitar that might be older than I am.
I learned the term "chickenhead knob". It's similar but different to the part I was looking for.
So I told Kenny my first guitar was a 3/4 guitar with nylon strings. My whole thing is I've got these small hands and I have a hard time playing normal-sized stringed instruments, so I remember having fun playing that guitar and remembering that I was drawn to the ukulele and now the bass. He suggested that I forget the interesting looking jazz guitar, and go find an EB-0 bass because it's my size and might be more playable i.e. more enjoyable.
- The last Gibson EB-0 was made in 1979.
- Epiphone discontinued its EB-0 and EB-3 models just this year (2020).
- Also known as a short-scale bass, Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro
Yesterday, I watched a video of Waddy Waddel talking about his gear and he was saying the same thing about the neck of the guitar. It's gotta feel right and be your size so you can enjoy playing.

No comments:
Post a Comment