Saturday, May 15, 2010

Physical... Education?

When I take the Metro light rail to work, I walk from the train station to work which is about 15 minutes away. It's not a big deal. I pre-plan my trip to make sure that when I depart from the train I have enough time to walk to work. As I come out of the station and walk south to the first crosswalk, I cross the street and pass by a business with the name Spectrum Athletic Club.

I always encounter someone on their long sidewalk. And I started to think about all the different people that that I've seen come and go from this place as I walk to and from work. It's a funny juxtaposition to me. Here I am walking to work to earn a living... here are all these people walking into and out of a gym they paid money to go to.

They have paid someone to tell them to work out. But can't you do that for yourself?

'Physical education' is a funny term.

Until you were in junior high, you didn't need any education on how to be physical. You and your neighborhood friends somehow spent most of your waking hours outside playing. Even at school, you played games to get that extra added activity in and got a grade for it.

Once junior high hits you, physical education then turns into a chore. Why is that? One specific person to tell you that, today, you're going to run the track because that's why they deem to be physical enough for you? Something just seems wrong with that.

No comments: