Monday, May 10, 2010

I hate Mother's Day...

Over time, I have gained a keen lack of appreciation for certain pseudo holidays that requires one to buy and give gifts or dress up in order to celebrate. Namely Mother's Day, Father's Day, Halloween and Valentine's Day. Let's take a look at them statistically:

Candy = 3:4
Flowers = 2:4
Perfume/Cologne = 3:4
Eating out = 3:4
Cards = 4:4
Clothing = 2:4

...but even I succumbed to 2:4 this weekend, thanks to Mom.

I woke up at my usual 5:05AM and by 6:30AM, I was traveling on Interstate 5 South to drive to El Cajon for Mother's Day. I took my mom out to breakfast to a place called Country Waffle. It's not as good at Waffle House, but the location and price were right. You can read my Yelp review about it. There is a widget on the left hand side of the screen to take you there.

It's been a month since the last time I visited. After her triple bypass, she seemed to struggle less with the fatigue and be more "in the moment" that she had been before the surgery. I bought her two mangevilla plants to replace the sad grape vine that I took to her bff's home in Lakeside. I planted those and monitored her while she did her laundry by herself for the first time in a month. She says she needs the wheeled walker, but I don't know. It's use is more of a dolly for her... a place to put her purse and coat between my car and the restaurant or a way for her to get her clothes to the laundry room in her apartment complex.

After planting and watering her patio, she gave me a waffle maker and I drove home at about Noon. Since I pass by an outlet mall on the way home, I decided to stop by, but since there was a mob scene at Carlsbad due to Mother's Day sales, I just drove through the parking lot and got back onto the freeway to go home. It was medium-heavy traffic from that point on all the way home.

I did not cook or clean today one bit. I got home, took a nap, got up and made myself a turkey sandwich on garlic rosemary sourdough I picked up from the Farmer's Market in El Segundo last Thursday. Turkey, mayo, mustard, soy cheddar, chopped sweet onion and spinach leaves. That how my sandwich goes.

No comments: