Sunday, April 18, 2010

And so it goes

Obviously, I took last Thursday the 8th off to take my mom to the hospital for her heart bypass surgery. While in pre-op, the anesthesiologist said to give her a sedative to squelch her anxiety. It worked. She was sleeping by the time she went into surgery at around 8AM.

And now I'm inserting a link for the review I wrote about the Hospital mom went to because I don't want to type all of that out again.

Sharp Grossmont Hospital Review on Yelp.com

I stayed off work for two days and lost out on a good chunk of change and mom didn't even acknowledge the fact. My paycheck last Friday was shorted by one-third because of her and I'll never get it back.

Getting a phone call at 3AM on 4/14 better be goddamn important, but instead it was my mom bitching about the room because the bed was too big for her and she was hurting. Earlier in the day the hospital moved her out of the 5th floor and into the 3rd floor where the transition rehabilitation ward is. I told her to ask for pain medication if she hurt. I stayed on the phone with her until I heard a nurse was giving her two Percocet.

After that episode, hours later a social worker called me leaving a message on my cellphone and I returned the call at lunch. The social worker told me one story and I heard entirely another while I was on the phone with my mom. I explained she sounded as though she was delirious from the pain and this is her first surgery so she doesn't understand that she needs to be a better advocate for herself when it comes to controlling her pain. Mom needs to ask for her pain meds, no one reads minds and they are not going to regularly medicate her as if she were fresh out of surgery like a few days before. I also told the social worker about my mom's propensity to not work as hard as she could during physical activity which would be another reason why she would complain about where is was. The social worker said she would make sure the nurses ask more if she's in pain to see if she can be medicated more frequently.

I've been checking in on mom by phone for the past week. Her anxiety piqued on Friday when she thought she was going to get the O.K. to be released. She asked me to come, but she only had the clearance from one doctor. I told her I would call later after she heard from her other doctor. After I had ordered lunch, I called to check up on her and she was freaking out about something she said she found on her skin between her neck and body and a charge nurse was coming to look at it. She was too medicated to described it to me over the phone. Clearly, she wasn't ready to go home and her second doctor confirmed this to me and said she had to wait another week before going home. I reminded her that her bff's daughter can take her home and that's what we discussed while visited on Friday. She started to complain again.

Jesus, if you ever hear me complain to the level that my mom does about stupid shit, just put me out of my misery. Big bed, big car, no this, no that, you're 4'8" and the world's not going to conform to YOU, miss passive aggressive. You did this to yourself.

No comments: