Thursday, August 13, 2020

Fooling Yourself

This is a song that I have loved since it came out in 1977, but there was always one line that eluded me. I guess I could have looked it up on the internet years ago, but by listening to the live versions of Tommy Shaw singing his tune, I finally figured it out. And now I don't have to sing, "You can hide little lamb, put your care in your yam."


(Relax... easy.)

You see the world through your cynical eyes

You're a troubled young man, I can tell

You've got it all in the palm of our hand

But your hands wet with sweat and your head needs a rest

And you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it

You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it.

Why must you be such an angry young man

When your future looks quite bright to me

And how can there be such a sinister plan

That could hide such a man, such a caring young man   <-- the elusive line.

[Chorus]

And you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it

You're killing yourself if you don't believe it

Get up! (Get up!) Get back on your feet.

You're the one they can beat and you know it.

Come on! (Come on!) Let's see what you've got.

Just take your best shot and don't blow it.

No comments: