Thursday, August 13, 2020

Day 81: Today I discovered Deadland Ritual

I'm on a trail, a path... if you will.

Determined to bring some joy into my life by being able to make a joyous noise, I bought a bass guitar. This was on Friday, May 29, 2020. Combing through Facebook Marketplace, I found a college student who wanted to sell her almost new bass because she's not playing it anymore and is now into playing the cello. Cool! The black 2018 Fender Bronco bass is in Westlake Village... it's an hour and a half drive.

I bring the bass home, inspect it and immediately plug it into my Crate 15W guitar practice amp. And then, I think, am I even supposed to be doing that? It's a bass! You can, but you have to be careful and adjust the equalizer to get a clean tone. And instinctively, I did that. My ear tells me I'm making noise, but it's not the full, rich sound a bass guitar is supposed to sound like.

And then, how to play, how to play, how to play. I'm consuming the stuff that bass players are publishing about their work, their rigs, their style. I'm finding info online from:

Carol Kaye - www.CarolKaye.com (who has teaching tools for sale online. God bless her<3); 

Leland Skylar -  On Youtube (who is giving all who so choose to watch his videos a kind of fly on-the-wall perspective into some of the music he's worked on and artists he's worked with over his career);

And then I begin to remember the bands who I used to listen to as a kid growing up in a house with little joy. And I was listening to Queen (John Deacon), Black Sabbath (Geezer Butler), Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones), ELO (Kelly Groucutt), The Eagles (Timothy B. Schmit), and Heart.

Now I'm looking for a solution to a problem and that problem is I have two electric guitars and one 15Z practice amp and I don't want to get separate amps for each one because: 1) I don't have the space, and 2) it's expensive!





No comments: