It's the weekend before the holiday and I'm running a bit late this year so it's time to make plans for Thanksgiving 2023!
The Menu:
Roasted turkey legs
Stuffing
Roasted carrots in extra virgin olive oil and rosemary
Garlic mashed potatoes
Cranberry jelly
Turkey gravy
I'm making, for the second year in a row, this dairy-free pumpkin pie recipe for dessert --> https://myredrecipebook.blogspot.com/2022/11/dairy-free-pumpkin-pie-2022-version.html
My son picked up turkey legs on sale at Aldi earlier in the week and put them in the freezer. I think turkey legs are the way to go for two people and especially because we like turkey, but we don't need a whole turkey to be able to enjoy it. I had to make a special trip to my local Ralph's Fresh Faire today to buy Country Crock Plant Creme to make the pie.
As of whenever I got back from shopping today, all of the ingredients have been gathered, so now I have to figure out the timing for the cooking. We usually eat Thanksgiving for lunch. And the only things that need to go into the oven are the turkey legs, the carrots and the pumpkin pie. I'll cook the potatoes in the instant pot and the stuffing on top of the stove.
The Timing:
- pie 325* for one hour
- the turkey legs will cook for an hour at 350* ( Oh, no! The turkey legs that we placed in the freezer when bought them did not thaw in 24 hours after being placed in the refrigerator, so now we have to extend the cooking time to make sure they thaw & cook thoroughly.) So probably 2 hours cooking time. These were cooked in a foil pocket until 30 minutes before the end time, then unsealed to brown. Delicious!
- the roasted carrots will be 30-35 minutes
- the potatoes in the instant pot will cook for 30 minutes we want to make sure those potatoes are good and done. The vegan butter will be placed in a saucepan, heated, and we'll toast the garlic before adding it to the cooked potatoes.
- We heated the rolls on the same sheet that was used for the pie.

No comments:
Post a Comment