Sunday, September 24, 2017

My Medical Insurance Evolution

My Medical Insurance Evolution

Due to the progression of Crohn's disease, since my 2000 resection surgery, once a month I must get a B12 injection. It's good yet interesting that I really don't get sick all that much except for having to deal with the effects of Crohn's if I eat something that doesn't agree with my guts.

1) Kaiser was great until my employer decided it was too expensive for them. I paid a monthly premium so I could pay $8 a shot I could administer myself at home.

2) Then my employer changed insurers and I went to a different PCP of my choice who accepted my insurance near my home. And I didn't have to pay anything for my monthly injection, but had to come into the office to get it. I had a co-pay if I was seen for anything else.

3) After that, I paid an office visit fee because I changed jobs and my medical insurance had not kicked in yet. $69 for the office visit to obtain the same injection. I was thankful to my doctor.

4) Then I quit that job and went on COBRA. That was $500 a month, but all I used it for was the same B12 injection. With the same doctor that previously charged me $69 for the same injection.

5) Then I became an independent contractor. I was mad and worried having to pay so much for so little during a time when I was starting my own business and I decided to concentrate on getting my Crohn's more under control since I had more time at home. As I did this, ObamaCare came into play. My COBRA ran out at the end of 2016 and I found a plan with Kaiser for $185 a month premium based upon my new income bracket. I don't have to pay for the B12 injections if I use the nurse's clinic, but blood tests are now something new I have to pay a co-pay for. And I have a co-pay if I need to see my doctor for anything

6) Now I'm worried again that my government reps may change the mandated medical insurance plan and I'll get kicked off  because Kaiser won't have to cover me anymore under the discounted plan I currently can afford.


No comments: