Friday, I was invited to go out for a drink by one of the Yelpers (www.yelp.com)for her anniversary on the website. I said what the hell and clicked in that I would attend the event. There were about 30 others that did just the same. It gave me something to look forward to.
So Friday rolls around and I drove to the Citidel after work to kill time before the event and shop. I bought some Corelle bowls that are a great size for rice, a ginger grater, 3 new bras, a top from Van Heusen because they sent me a $10 certificate for being a frequent shopper. All right, they have cute dresses and tops for women there, not just menswear. In between, I bought a pretzel and lemonade from Auntie Annie's. It was about 8:30PM and I decide to drive to the bar.
I went to the Good Luck Bar in Los Angeles located right off of Hollywood Blvd on the edge of he neighborhoods of Silverlake and Echo Park. The event was supposed to start at 9:00PM, but no matter. The bar was chill and I bought a cape codder and settled into a red upholstered booth. I fooled around with my cellphone until 10:00PM until my drink was gone. I looked around the bar's two rooms for the people that were supposed to attend, but all were no shows. Was the joke on me?
No. From a young age, I was taught that it was OK to be alone. It's true that people who need people are the luckiest people in the world, to quote a Barbra Streisand song, because they have love in their lives and someone to lean on, but they can also suffer the aggravations from their interpersonal interactions just as much as I do. People doing evil things against other people is why the legal system exists today. It's why divorce and the Bible are as popular as they are is.
Integrity is key for me. The Golden Rule. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Is that so very hard to do? For some, I guess it is. Living in their self indulgent, delusional lives. For me? I'm happy I can function just fine being alone.
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment