Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cable vs. Satellite

Cable vs. Satellite. When the Time Warner Sales Rep finally tracked me down at my front door, he told me he could reduce my monthly bill if I switched my cable away from Directv. For me, it came down to the money in my pocket. I did the math and finally succombed to the fact that cable+internet bundle=savings for me. I wasn't happy about it because I enjoyed my reliable service, but there it was on paper in black and white. If I went with Time Warner Cable (internet+basic cable/locals/Showtime hd receiver/hd dvr), I was going to save about $30 a month over Directv (with locals, basic, and a Showtime package).

Old - Cable Internet 46.95 + Directv 72.98 = 119.93
New - Bundled Cable Internet + TV = 89.00
Monthly Savings = 30.93

So we set a date for the installation and I didn't really think about it much at all until the day came. The time rolled around and the installer contacted me to verify the location and direction. Fine. He got to my home and didn't even come to the front door. I found him at my patio door because the neighbor's damn dog was barking again, so that irratated me. He then examined where the internet cable was located and came into the house, asked me for a ladder and told me he would run the cable around my front door. NO. I live in a condo and I can't have the wiring like that. I said the wire was previously ran in the attic, so thats where it needs to go. Oh, he didn't like that. Then he went out onto my patio and said he would cut my directv line to install the cable, and I said NO, that's my property. The cable company was supposed to do a full install and not damage my directv because if I want to get rid of cable, then I can reconnect my directv. I told him he needed to run the line into the hole I previously made and he said he couldn't? Oh, my god. We ran around arguing for a good 30 minutes and I finally came to the conclusion he wasn't prepared for the installation and didn't want to go into my attic. My son left the house so he didn't have to listen to me tell this guy what he needed to do, but wasn't. He called his supervisor, and he went to the next job.

I was left angry and without cable. So the supervisor shows up at my door and I explain that the first guy came and he was arguementative, unprepared to preform the installation because he came without supplies and equipment and ultimately did not want to go into the attic to make the connection. He looked at everything again, asked where the connections should be and left to get supplies. Again, not prepared to do the installation. The supervisor came back with a ladder and coaxil and ran the lines in my attic like I asked, dropped the line in my closet, but left me with the duty to get it through the wall which was fine, and then the first guy shows up again with the hd receiver/dvr and installs that. He put the sound through my tv instead of the stereo, but I didn't care that this point, I just wanted him out. I was still irratated, hungry, and had other things to still to do.

So my appointment lasted over three hours with four visits from two people installing my cable tv. I finally got what I wanted with a new drop in the bedroom and a drop in the service hole that was already in the wall in the living room.

No comments: