Sunday, May 12, 2019

The day before Mother's Day...

The day before Mother's Day I decided it was a nice enough day outside to do some spring cleaning work on the patio.

All of this winter's rain brought weeds that were once bird seed and the potted plants (French lavender, rosemary, heirloom tomato) and sage all died except for the cactus. The chinka cherry tomato reseeded itself into a planting box where it has never been before and that turned into weedy looking bush that I think I've cut down at least three times since December.

Tomatoes being nightshade have reseeded in one of the older bed sites. I'm going to try and move it after I get some new potting soil tomorrow.

But after a dinner of tilapia and jasmine rice, and as I'm watching "Dead to Me" and "Wine Country" on Netflix while perusing Facebook, my cousin sends me this text on messenger that she's got stage 4 pancreas and intestinal cancer and that she's moving back home to live with her brother. And the first thing that runs through my mind is our family doesn't have cancer and it's gotta be the italian side of her family. So sad. Someone at work died of stomach cancer.

Death of my friends and family is going to come faster now that I'm turning 53. The first one was an accidental death of two former co-workers along the 55 freeway the last time I went on vacation. I went to the funeral, but couldn't bring myself to speak. Next weekend, there is another for a woman that worked in another department, but her husband works for me.

No comments: