Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy July 4th

My July 4th started at 4:00PM on July 3rd, driving home from Simi Valley to Orange County. I had passed on the task of getting gas that morning for beating the traffic to work. I planned on leaving early because that's what you should do before a three day weekend - get a jump on your weekend just because you can. So I sat in a plethora of traffic for three hours from 4-7pm watching the cars go wherever they did crawling on the 5 freeway to home. As I parked in the carport, I noted I was left with less than an eighth of a tank of gas, but not quite empty.

My son called me while I was passing through the East LA interchange to remind me we need paper towels and provisions for tomorrow's planned BBQ. After I got home and changed, we hit Thrifty Oil then Von's and then back home.

Part of the menu was Jello fruit parfait. I hadn't made it in such a long time. I had to talk to my co-worker about the recipe. There is two variants I knew about and so did he - the pistachio and the fruit. I was planning on making the fruit. So I had to prepare two cartons of strawberry flavored jello and put it into the refrigerator before I fell asleep.

The next morning after watching all the Today show I could tolerate, then I prepared the fruit parfait with one cool whip, two cans of drained fruit cocktail, two sliced bananas, and a pint of sliced strawberries. I chopped up the jello and mixed everything together and sank it back into the refrig.

2PM rolls around and its BBQ time. I grilled the Hebrew Nationals and prepared the diced dill pickle and red onion slurry to top the dogs. We watched the Tom Petty documentary on either IFC or Sundance that was on almost until the end (I watched it before). With spicy brown mustard, I'm full, happy and now I'm going to take a nap.

No comments: